Selection of Referees' Quotes from David White
- Beautiful study, well written: I wish I could have done it.
- This is a strongly written paper claiming elegance that is not backed up in the data.
How much triglyceride was in the wastewater? That would certainly foul up their attributions.
- This is a paper written like a telegram.
- Because bacteria are found together…does not establish they interact.
- Well written paper with a poor method and a lot of conjecture. How about a little time off – I need to get some research done. (Ed: he was 73 at this point.)
- Nice paper: he bit the Gordian knot!
- This is a stinker! (Ed: paper on methlyotrophic microbes on feet, which he recommended for publication)
- There is an obvious omission, the chemical structure … surely there is an NMR in Sydney!
- This is the most convoluted paper I have seen in a long time.
Tank this turkey!
- I like lipids, but they have their limitations, which appear to have been overlooked.
- A terrible paper, not even a good science fair project. Please let me have some time to complete grant applications (Ed: he was 75 when he wrote this.)
- They need to learn that the fatty acids are in the cell membrane not the wall: that immediately tips off the reader to stop reading.
- This is an essentially unreadable paper sent to the wrong journal.
- Wow: this is a clear keeper. Merry Christmas!
- Giant step backwards.
- Co-inertial is wonderful jargon for bad methods application.
- When I saw the title and the author I could not put it down. Beautiful…thanks for letting me read it.
- This paper has a grandiose title for a complex multifaceted test …It is no trichorder that one passes over the water and detects specific life.
- What a beautiful paper….You certainly get better papers than the stuff Ken sends me!
(c) 2006, the Author; appeared in Environmental Microbiology, vol 8, page 2061
David White at 75 (Fall 2004)