David C. White Student Travel Award
The UT Department of Microbiology is accepting applications for the David C. White Memorial Travel Award. The award will cover most of the costs associated with registration, transportation, lodging, and food for the annual national meeting of the American Society for Microbiology for eligible graduate and/or undergraduate students. Applications are also encouraged for travel to other professional meetings concentrating on microbiological research. These applications will be supported depending on availability of funds.
Click on each year for more information about the recipients and their research.
- 2016 - Jordan Bird, Kyle Bonifer, Joy Buongiorno, Benjamin Calfee, Chelsi Cassilly, Samantha Coy, Steven Higgins, Pooja Saraf, Megan Silbaugh, Sarah Stuart Sloan, Robert Tams
- 2015 - Nana Ankra, Pranay Dogra, Jackson Gainer, Caroline Grunenwald, John Harp, Enolia Marr, Mohammad Moniruzzaman, Jenny Onley, Elizabeth Pitt, Holly Saito, Pooja Saraf, Keats Schwab, Jia Wen
- 2014 - Chelsi Cassilly, Sarah Davis, Pranay Dogra, Ashley Frank, Virginia Hargest, Elizabeth Johnson, Jiang Liu, Jenny Onley, Elisabeth Pitt, Keats Shwab, Megan Silbaugh, Sarah Sloan, Abby Smartt, Morgan Steffen, Marty Szul, Jia Wen
- 2013 - B. Shafer Belisle, Michelle Chua, Mohammad (Monir) Moniruzzaman, Holly Saito, Elizabeth Johnson, Caroline Grunenwald, Pranay Dogra, Jia Wen, Morgan Steffen
- 2012 - Abby Smartt, Tingting Xu, Sarah Davis, Nathan Cude, Chris Gulvik, Anthony Montedonico, Wilson Robinson, Neha Sarode, M. Seraj Uddin
- 2011 - Pranay Dogra, Rachel Hill, Keats E. Shwab, Morgan Steffen, Junwei Zeng
- 2010 - Charles Budinoff, Jeremy Chandler, Bo-Jhih Guan, John Harp, Audrey Matteson, Anthony Montedonico, Marissa Rodrigues, Matthew Saxton, Aarthi Sundararajan, Junwei Zeng, Sunetta Acharya
- 2009 - Heather Benedict-Hamilton, Bo-Jhih Guan, Chris Gulvik, Jinho Heo, Lydia Mosi, Aarthi Sundararajan, George Umanah
- 2008 - Emily Bethea, Jeremy Chandler, Ying-Lien (Joseph) Chen, Li-Yin Huang, Heejung Kim, Jeff Morris, Lydia Mosi, Jenish Patel, Matthew Scholz, George Umanah, and Samantha Wirth
- 2007- Rachael Singleton, Samantha Wirth, and Matt Gorden
Recipients shall be chosen in accordance with University policy and are open to all eligible applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, or veteran status, subject to the following restrictions:
- Applicants must be currently enrolled at or admitted to attend the
University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
- First preference shall always go to applicants pursuing a degree in
Microbiology, however, recipients could be from other science based
Two or more awards may be made, with recipients selected on the basis of their performance in research at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville campus and the potential for furthering their education and profession as a microbiologist. It is expected that the successful recipients will be presenting their research at the meeting supported by an award.
A standing requirement of accepting the award will be a presentation to the Microbiology
faculty and students of the “lessons learned” by the recipient within one month of returning
from the annual meeting.
Interested applicants must submit a letter requesting the award outlining the reasons for the
request, the title and an abstract of their proposed presentation and a sponsoring letter of
recommendation from a faculty mentor to:
David White Memorial Travel Award Endowment
Department of Microbiology
M409 Walters Building
The University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN 37996
Deadline for receipt of applications is March 7, 2012.